A simply powerful app for helping with the opioid overdose problem from first medical contact through discharge to a sustained recovery for lessoned recidivism.
Using Digital Medicine to Saves Lives
As of March 2018, more than 115 people in the United States die every day after overdosing (OD) on opioids (Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse).
This crisis has now reached epidemic proportions. Furthermore, overdose patients are at significant risk of repeat visits to the ED as they are often discharged within 24 hours. And with limited resources to afford outpatient treatment, many relapse almost immediately. This perpetual cycle of overdosing and treatment stresses the 911 system, takes paramedics out of rotation from treating others and can lead to death. Something needs to change. Digital medicine is an answer. According to the accepted definition, digital telemedicine is defined as ‘using digital tools to upgrade the practice of medicine…’.
“No area of the United States is exempt from this epidemic - we all know a friend, family member or loved one devasted by opioids.”
- A. Schuchat, CDC
Keeping Patients out of the Hospital
Digital Medicine aims to keep patients out of the hospital in an attempt to accelerate their recovery. The faster opioid/OD patients can begin treatment in a rehab facility or with a coach, the higher their chances are of a full recovery. GD e-Bridge empowers the patient the moment they leave the hospital with the tools necessary to facilitate and manage their own recovery.
Prehospital, Hospital and Recovery
GD e-Bridge is taking digital medicine and mobile telemedicine to new heights, which were never before realized. Now, the OD patient lifecycle is split into two separate (yet completely integrated) cases:
• Prehospital/Hospital case – managed by EMS and medical staff
• Recovery case – managed by the patient/recovery coach
Regional / State / National Opioid Monitoring
All opioid/OD data collected by GD e-Bridge can be uploaded to national registries, which provides valuable metadata across regions and states. This rich data can lead to improved treatment processes and protocols, proactive public health programs. All of this aims to help stem the growing epidemic at the overdose level.
Closed-Loop Opioid/OD Digital Medicine
The all-in-one, completely configurable GD e-Bridge mobile telemedicine app features a closed-loop Opioid Workflow solution which facilitates rapid and accurate communication and data flow amongst medical professionals in both prehospital and community paramedicine settings. With these operational enhancements, caregivers are armed with the tools necessary to deliver better outcomes–including saving lives.
At the touch of a button, a paramedic, for example, can initiate an automated opioid workflow which instantly alerts the hospital and shares all diagnostic, patient and treatment data via mobile device. This allows the ED and specialty physicians to prepare staff, beds and equipment and also activate registries and recovery specialists to give the patient a better chance at a full recovery.
Once the “Opioid” button is pushed on the GD e-Bridge app, an overdose case is started and all patient discharge and beyond using the app. EMS can check back to see how the patient is doing after treatment, and doctors and nurses can track the progress of multiple OD patients simultaneously.
Why GD e-Bridge for Opioid Workflow?
• Paramedics can initiate a pre-determined opioid workflow protocol with the touch of a single button.
• The hospital is instantly alerted that an OD patient is in route and can track the ambulance’s arrival via geo-tracking down to the second.
• All patient, diagnostic (STEMI reports, etc.) and treatment data is entered right into the GD e-Bridge app and can flow right into the ePCR or EMR for wider accessibility.
GD e-Bridge facilitates teleconsultations from hospital or remote-based specialists directly to the paramedic in the field in order to provide online medical direction and coaching.
Ancillary Benefits of GD e-Bridge
GD e-Bridge with Overdose Workflow automation is a comprehensive Mobile Telemedicine solution which can bring far greater benefits to your treatment environment – prehospital, hospital and post-discharge.
• Risk management – Patient refusals are recorded in the field right from the paramedic’s mobile device and securely stored and shared with medical teams. Data collected is exportable to medical record systems and registries to ensure compliance.
• Unified data – EMS and ED
• Reduce error and accelerate treatment – Reduce error and enhance the patient handoff process by accessing and sharing patient and treatment information right from your medical team’s mobile devices.
• Case management – EMS and medical teams are empowered with full case management capabilities right from their mobile devices. All documentation, communication and notification are facilitated and accessed right from the phone or tablet.
THIS IS HOW IT WORKS
This is an example of how your automated workflow can work. This solution is comprehensive and configurable giving you the power to run protocols and collect data the way you need to.